My husband and I watched the movie “The Love Affair” last Monday. Good thing that my meeting that evening was cancelled so I asked my husband if we could and watch this movie.
I wanted to see the movie to see how realistic it was for married couples who gets entangled into this kind of situation where both of them has been tempted to cheat.
To be honest, I was more keen to know how Dawn Zulueta, who was playing the role as Richard’s wife, would react knowing that her husband is cheating on her after she was also caught cheating on him. Oh well, what a twisted plot!
I guess I was drawn to the movie because I was also in a similar situation before where I caught my husband cheating on me but I never cheated on him. I wanted to know if there is a difference of knowing that your spouse cheated thus, opening a door for you to take revenge and cheat as well.
Here are the scenes from the movies that had an impact on me and where lessons about infidelity in a marriage could be drawn:
1. The reaction of Richard to Dawn when he saw her flirting with his best friend giving him the instinct that something was not right is quite accurate. Women have instincts when their husband is cheating but men do have instincts as well when their wives are playing with fire.
2. The scene where Richard gets mad at Dawn while they were in the car and he tells her to step out of the car was really harsh and I guess a lot of woman will react thinking Richard was heartless at that scene. But any man who learns that her wife is cheating on him would certainly turn his heart as cold as stone especially when he loves her wife so much. Men and women do have different ways on how to handle infidelity.
3. When it rained and Richard realized that Dawn was left on the road because he left her while it was raining hard then he chose to go back for her even though he was mad, hurt and still confuse upon learning Dawn’s infidelity. Men still has that soft spot and that unique character of being heartless when hurt but oftentimes they could not resist to still show compassion and care for the woman they love as demonstrated by Richard.
4. The scene were Richard was confronting Dawn if she had sex with his best friend and if they did, how many times have they done it. This is what most men and women feel when you learn that you have been cheated, especially in marriage, where sex is sacred and it is just suppose to be between husband and wife, not to be shared with anyone else outside of the marriage. When two people enter marriage, they become one flesh and he is the owner of her body and she also becomes the owner of his body. So Richard’s reaction to Dawn’s infidelity is the most normal reaction a husband would feel. The need to know if someone else aside from him took hold of her body.
5. When Richard and Dawn were narrating the part when their son Adrian died where the coldness of their marriage started and has brought so much distance between them, you can see how they narrated their own story from their own perspective. They went through the same situation but they both had a different take on it. From Dawn’s story, she wanted to prove to Richard that she can make her own decisions and to show Richard that he is not always right. But to Richard, he thought all along that Dawn was punishing him for making the wrong decision on their son’s operation that cost him his life. And they kept it within themselves creating misunderstanding and miscommunication between them. And it led them into making wrong decisions such as infidelity.
6. The part where Dawn saw Richard was drop off by someone in front of their house. Dawn did not see who it was who dropped him off but being a woman who had instincts, she felt it and it made her follow her husband and investigate. Dawn secretly followed her husband and made a call to ask where he is when in fact she knows where he is. It takes guts to investigate to find out the truth. It also takes so much courage to swallow the pain knowing your husband is lying and cheating to you when he does not know that you already know the truth.I know a lot of woman can relate to this because I have experienced this and know this for real.
7. When Richard went home coming from his mistress not knowing that Dawn already knew about his affair with Bea. Tables were turned when it was Dawn asking Richard if he already loves Bea. You can see the difference between what is important for a woman and a man to know the moment they learn that their partners are cheating. A man wants to know if her wife had sex during the affair while a woman wants to know if her husband loves the woman he is having an affair with.
8. A lot of people will expect wives to be confrontational once they face the mistress of their husband. It takes true strength to ask a mistress the way Dawn did on the scene with Bea, for her to leave her husband. Some might expect that almost all women will be as fierce like a lion when they confront the mistress but its also possible that two woman fighting for one man can confront each other with a class act and with decency.
9. Its really hard to fight for someone and fight with him at the same time. Most people would often advice women or men who has been cheated by their respective partners to just let go and end the marriage and when they don’t make such choice, some would think that they are making a stupid decision or they are simply stupid to fight for their marriage. But while I was watching Dawn as she decides to forgive Richard and does everything to win him back when in the first place, he is her husband and no one could ever take her place as the wife, she was also fighting for her children’s sake to have a complete and happy family. She was not stupid at all, she just knew what was more important, not just for her but for her children that she love most more than herself and that is why she was willing to forgive and do everything to make Richard stay within their marriage and to fight for their family. I know it sounds stupid for others to make such decision but when I was in that situation a few years back, it was exactly the same reasons that I had in mind why I chose to fight for my husband, forgive him and fight for my son at that time to have a complete and happy family.
10. This is the part where I could not help myself from crying. The last part where Dawn and the kids were seated together waiting for Richard so that they can talk as a family and explain to their children why they are separating. Its the most heartbreaking part when a marriage has to end and children has to suffer the consequences of the wrong choices that their parents make. I can feel the pain of Dawn and Richard’s children in the movie. No child would want to learn that their parents are splitting up because someone cheated. It was really a painful scene watching their son express his grief and unacceptance of what is about to happen to his parents. I hope that even just this scene will pierce through the many hearts of those who have watched it especially parents to understand how painful and damaging it is when our children sees us fighting, arguing and on the brink of separation. It is just so devastating to them more than we can imagine.
Overall, I would rate the movie as moving, realistic and purposeful. There were so many lessons that one can learn from the movie because it depicts the true emotions that a husband and a wife goes through when one or both of them is caught in a love affair outside of their marriage.
The execution was simply done but the emotions and the realistic interpretation of what Love Affair outside legal relationships can really do has been clearly shown in the film. Bea Alonzo was so good with her performance and my husband was even asking me how can she cry just like that. She portrayed her role very well. I also admire Dawn and Richard’s chemistry.
I would definitely recommend this movie especially for married couples who wants to learn how to keep their marriage safe from infidelity and for those who are caught in a similar situation like the characters has portrayed.
Watch the trailer here:
To God Be All The Glory!
Lourdes Galang - For career, business and marketing tips, visit my business website. I give free consultation on how to start the life and business you deserve.
Truly Rich Club - For tips on stock investments and financial decisions, learn more from Bo Sanchez.
It Works - For OFW looking for part time business opportunity, check this company.
Cognoa - For business opportunity with small and low risk investment, check this company.